Do not try adventuring Teide volcano before being well informed and first of all, before having read this article!
If you want to explore Mount Teide you have to plan it some days or even months before. In this case sentences like “I won’t plan anything but just enjoy my Holiday” or “Unexpected things are the best” DO NOT work, I write this for personal experience.
THINGS YOU MUST KNOW
Mount Teide is a volcano on Tenerife in the Canary Islands. Due to its altitude of 3718 meters (12198,16 ft), it is the third highest volcano in the world.
Originally it was estimated to be around 5000 meters (16404,2 ft), but then, a massive eruption destroyed the upper part of the volcano. Debris break down towards north extending the island giving it its actual conformation.
Even if the last eruption registration was in 1909, Teide is an active volcano.
Its rocks have elevated temperature and they give origin to the fumarole phenomenon.
- Despite the desertic and lunar scenery, the temperature at the highest peak is really low. Do not be misled by the 27°C degrees outside your hotel; if you are going to spend the entire day visiting Mount Teide equip yourself with sweater, trousers, a heavy coat and suitable shoes.
- There are many roads to reach the volcano which begin from every side of the island. They all lead to the Teide cableway which will allow you to go at the altitude of 3550 meters (12198,16 ft).
Important advice : Buy the tickets some days before and on the official Teide website. They allow to go up at no more than 200 people per day, so the tickets are limited and finish quickly.
Here below I give you the direct link to the website.
➣ Teide Volcano Official
- To reach the highest peak requires to book well in advance. You will need an esclusive permission available on the official website.
- Once out of the cableway you will find two paths: one is reserved to who has the permit and the other, the number 11 will lead you to a beautiful terrace where you could admire the entire island from the top.
- Close to the volcano you could also visit the amazing Roques de García.
Visiting Teide Volcano has been an amazing experience, maybe the best excursion I’ve done during my stay on this island.
Book early and spend an entire day on Mount Teide, it really worth.
I hope you like the article! Let me know in the comment below if you have been there already or if I convinced you to go there ahahah!